History and Symbolism
- Bridal crowns are one of the oldest forms of headdress worn by women.
- They symbolize purity and serve as a status symbol for the bride's family.
- Bridal crowns were popular in farming areas.
- Initially, they were decorated with flowers, fir branches, herbs, and ripe fruits. Later, more expensive materials like pearls, mirrors, and precious metals were used.
- In Norway, Sweden, and Serbia, bridal crowns were made of silver.
- In Bavaria and Silesia, bridal crowns were made of gold wire, glass stones, and glittering metal flakes.
- In the Black Forest, bridal crowns feature pearls, glass balls, mirrors, ribbons, and paper roses.
- The Sorbs in Lusatia wear a headdress called 'Borta.'
- Thuringia has a farming costume called 'Hormt' that includes a bridal crown.
- In Scandinavia, bridal crowns are made of brass, silver, or gold.
- They resemble smaller versions of princess coronets and often have gems and ornate decorations.
- Scandinavian church parishes lend bridal crowns to brides for their wedding ceremonies and receptions.
- Bridal crowns in Scandinavia relate to the Virgin Mary and symbolize a young woman's purity and virginity.
- They are often attached to long veils.
Literature and External Resources
- Hartmut Braun wrote about the cultural origin of the 'Schäppel' in the Black Forest.
- The German Heimatbund's Trachtenkunde provides information about bridal crowns.
- Wikimedia Commons has a collection of media related to bridal crowns.
- The Black Forest Folk Costume Museum in Haslach showcases a variety of bridal crowns.
- The Schäppel is a traditional costume in Schiltach-Lehengericht, Black Forest.
- The Black Forest Folk Costume Museum in Haslach is a reliable source of information.
- Svenska Dagbladet published an article by Eva Bäckstedt on bridal crowns.
- Helena Michon-Bordes wrote about bridal crowns in the Uppsala ärkestift Yearbook.
- Ingebretsens Scandinavian Gifts provides cultural information about weddings and bridal crowns.
- Wedding Dresses is a resource that may contain relevant information.
Bridal crown Data Sources