History and Recognition
- Wedding anniversaries associated with precious metals like gold and silver have been documented in Germanic countries since the 1500s.
- The tradition of associating gift-giving with wedding anniversaries became more prevalent in English-speaking countries in the nineteenth century.
- Increased commercialization in the twentieth century led to the inclusion of more anniversaries in a list of predetermined gifts.
- In Commonwealth realms, couples can receive special recognition from government officials for milestones like the 60th, 65th, and 70th wedding anniversaries.
- In Australia, couples can receive congratulatory letters from the governor-general on the 50th and subsequent anniversaries, while in Canada, they can receive messages from the governor-general for the 50th anniversary and every fifth anniversary after that. In the United States, a couple can receive an anniversary greeting card from the president for the 50th and subsequent anniversaries. Roman Catholics can apply for a papal blessing for special wedding anniversaries.
Celebration and Gifts
- Significant anniversaries have names that suggest appropriate or traditional gifts, such as silver for the 25th anniversary and gold for the 50th anniversary.
- Gifts may be exchanged by spouses or given by guests at parties, and they may influence the theme or decoration of an anniversary party.
- Different countries have their own variations, but some anniversary years have well-established connections common to many nations.
- In English-speaking countries, the fifth-year gift is traditionally wood, which is cut on the day of celebration and presented to the wife.
- In 1937, the American National Retail Jeweler Association introduced an expanded list of gifts, giving a gift for each year up to the 25th and every fifth anniversary after that.
Traditional Anniversary Gifts
- Traditional anniversary gifts vary by year and country.
- Flowers are also associated with wedding anniversaries up to and including the 50th anniversary.
- The American National Retail Jeweler Association introduced an expanded list of gifts in 1937, which gave a gift for each year up to the 25th and every fifth anniversary after that.
- In South India, the 60th and 80th wedding anniversaries are accompanied by large celebrations similar to weddings.
- Thirukadaiyur Temple in Tamil Nadu is famous for conducting special pujas for wedding anniversaries.
Sources and References
- Sources for additional information and verification are needed for this section.
- The American National Retail Jeweler Association introduced an expanded list of gifts in 1937.
- Various books, encyclopedias, and websites provide information on wedding anniversaries and traditional gifts.
- The Royal Household in the UK sends anniversary messages for specific milestones.
- The Australian government and the Governor General of Canada also send anniversary messages.
Miscellaneous Facts and Statistics
- The platinum wedding anniversary is celebrated after 70 years of marriage.
- Different flowers are associated with wedding anniversaries, with each year having a specific flower.
- The British Monarchy provides facts and figures related to wedding anniversaries.
Wedding anniversary Data Sources