History of Body Piercing
- Body adornment is a subject of archaeological research.
- Primary sources about body piercing are scarce.
- Jewellery found in grave goods makes it difficult to understand its use.
- The modern record of body piercing has been distorted by Doug Malloy.
- Malloy marketed body piercing as a historical practice.
- Ear piercing has been practiced worldwide since ancient times.
- Mummified bodies with pierced ears have been discovered.
- The oldest earrings found in a grave date back to 2500 BCE.
- Earrings are mentioned in religious texts like the Bible and Vedas.
- Earrings were common in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome.
- Nose piercing dates back to at least 1500 BCE.
- Nose piercing has been practiced globally.
- Nose piercing is well-documented in historical records.
- Nose piercing was historically found in African cultures and the Middle East.
- Nose piercing is a form of body adornment and self-expression.
Types of Body Piercing
- Genital piercing has been practiced by various cultures.
- Nipple piercing dates back to Ancient Rome.
- Lip and tongue piercings were historically found in African cultures.
- Navel piercing has an unclear history.
- Body piercing gained popularity in Western culture after World War II.
Reasons for Piercing
- People pierce for religious, spiritual, or cultural reasons.
- Piercing is a form of self-expression and aesthetic value.
- Some pierce for sexual pleasure or to rebel against societal norms.
- Piercing remains controversial, especially for youth.
- Display of piercings may be restricted by schools, employers, or religious groups.
Body piercing Data Sources